As I wait for dinner to arrive from ‘El Nopal’, here is an oft-delayed blog post.
It is already early December… it seems like it was September, 2 weeks ago!
– I went to my High School’s Homecoming game, a few weeks ago. It was packed! I ran into a few old friends, made some new friends, plus met a person (Ashley C.), in person, that I’ve been a Facebook friend with for a few years (we went to HS together, a year apart, with quite a few mutual friends). It was a fun night, especially with Ballard winning 34-0!
– Speaking of Homecoming, I also went to the University of Louisville Homecoming game, but this one was different. I actually marched and played at halftime: UofL, for the first time in at least 25 years, reformed the Alumni Band. About 15 of us – 7 Color Guard and 8 Wind players – joined the Cardinal Marching Band (CMB) at halftime. We played “Gimme Gimme Gimme A Man After Midnight” by ABBA; the arrangement was written by a current student. The Alumni stayed stationary, in the center-front of the formations (we only had one rehearsal), while the CMB moved around us. It was not an easy piece tom play – kudos on the arrangement! Before halftime, we (the Alumni) had the option to march and play pre-game activities; I did everything but ‘Card March’. All in all, it was a great day! I will be back next year!!
– I got to watch “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever” a couple of weeks ago. It was a great movie! If I had to rank it, it would definitely be in my Top 5 Marvel movies (that I’ve seen), possibly Top 3. It will pull at your emotions in the first 15 minutes, definitely at the end of the middle segment, and again at the very end of the movie, but I think you will like it, too!
– Craig Greenburg (Dem.) was elected Louisville Mayor and Rand Paul (Rep.) kept his Senate seat. Very little enthusiasm about either result, although Greenburg may need some time to see what he can (and can’t) do.
– ‘That Streak’ is well over 10 years. I have no optimism about it ending soon. It’s frustrating.
– I have trained/helped train 3 new hires for 2nd shift, 1 new hire for 1st shift, and 1 new hire for Weekend Day shift. I have had , multiple 9-10 straight working streaks since July, streaks of 11-13+ straight days, at least 3 times (currently ended a 13-straight streak), and one 19-out-of-21 streak. Most of the new folks are settling into their shifts pretty well. While the extra money on the pay checks has helped, I am totally exhausted… to the point that I overslept on a 25-minute bus ride by 3/4 mile. Hopefully, 1st shift (including myself) won’t need to spend nearly 5 months filling holes, working extra hours, and training, any time soon.
– I DO have a vacation coming up: December 29th – January 8th. There aren’t any travel plans; I just plan on staying in Louisville and doing some combo of playing video games, reading, watching sports, going to a few restaurants that I’ve never been to before, and resting/relaxing. I *seriously* hope to hang out with some friends, especially outside of D&D, and maybe get invited to a New Year’s Eve party. The need to do something different and fun is STRONG.
-No, I’m not driving. Yes, I still have a car. No, the 2nd new battery is not in.
– The University of Louisville football team… is going to a bowl game?? They started 2-3, with some very weak losses, then finished by winning 5 out of their last 7. Did NOT see this result in late September! Awesome!
However… the Men’s basketball team is currently GARBAGE. They lost their first 3 games by 1 point EACH… then proceeded to get blown out in their next 4 by 25+ points EACH. They are now 0-7 and, according to some rankings, the 2nd-worst Power 5 team in the country. Also didn’t see this result in late September.
It’s hard being a UofL sports fan.
-I am enjoying the World Cup coverage. I still don’t know what constitutes an “Offsides” penalty, though.