Some quick hits on games, sports, and some life events.
- WWE announced that WWE 2K21 has been cancelled, due to the poor reviews of 2K20. 2K20 was plagued with bugs, glitches, faulty design, and “a lack of innovation or new game play”, according to multiple reviews. There has been no word about a replacement game. It seems like the last few WWE games have been plagued with bugs, glitches, and not-really-great game play. I’d say that this is a wake-up call for WWE to put out a better product… but I’m not too optimistic about it.
- Speaking of WWE, they have run shows with no audiences for the last few weeks. I just can’t watch that, with the exception of WrestleMania (I haven’t watched it yet but heard that it was actually pretty good). The reactions of the crowds, the reactions of the wrestlers to the crowds, whether it’s during matches or promos… that’s what makes the weekly shows so good! Taking away the fans makes it so much less interesting for me. I will stick to just reading the recaps for the foreseeable future.
- The 2020 NFL Draft concluded this weekend, held via Zoom and other telecommunication means. The NFL Commissioner announced the draft picks from his basement, with teams’ General Managers and coaches calling in their picks. It seemed to work well: it shattered viewing records for the Draft, for all 3 nights of the Draft*.
(*there wasn’t much to challenge it on TV, sports-wise)
- George R.R. Martin.
Book 6 of A Song of Ice and Fire: “It may not be finished in 2020”.
- World of Warcraft announced that the Experience Boost (where you earn 100% extra XP for any character under Level 120) would be extended until May 18th. In addition, a Reputation Boost (100% extra reputation gain) was announced to last until May 18th. This is wonderful for me – I have 5 characters that I can level up to 120 with this boost, plus a couple of alts that can use some boosts to reputations with some faction. I am going to take full advantage to these boosts… when I can!
- I still have “glorious” plans to play and finish about 5 or 6 of the games in my library that are in progress. The leading candidates are Prey, Doom 2016, Pillars of Eternity, Dragon Age: Origins, Risen, and Portal. I’ll probably write a quick review on each, when they are finished:
- Prey: I am a little over 1/2 finished; I stopped playing it when I bought Doom 2016
- Doom 2016: it’s being played alongside World of Warcraft
- Pillars: I can’t seem to settle on a character Class. I’m going to try a Monk, after trying a Cipher (mistake for a novice player) and Paladin (didn’t play like I thought it would)
- DA: Origins: I had 2 games going – one game, I am stuck with a mini-boss in the Dwarven settlement, the other is me being lazy and not playing it
- Risen: see Game #2 of DA: Origins.
- Portal: I’m honestly not sure why I haven’t played it recently.
- If/when the festival happens, I will be one of the Allies that are marching and playing with the “Kentucky Marching Pride”, for the Louisville Pride Festival. Kentucky Marching Pride is a marching band, made up of LGBTQ marchers and hetero Ally marchers. I got invited by a friend and promised her that as long as it didn’t interfere with CT and I could physically march, I’ll do it. It sounds like the band and the Festival would be fun, plus I get to help out a group that I support (LGBTQ). There has been no replacement date announced for the Pride Festival, yet.
- I have had a hard time reading Dan Brown’s “Inferno”. I keep getting sidetracked and distracted. So, I’ll put it back on the shelf and start this book in a few days: