I like to write posts, in the last week of December, that are part “Best Of…” lists, part Resolution reviews, and Resolutions/Goals/Wishes for the upcoming year.
Covid-19 pretty much dominated the first two; let’s hope it doesn’t dominate too much of 2021.
Best of 2020
Comic Book Villains
While Podicus Wrecks recorded through much of 2020, the back half of the year was focused on George Perez’s ‘Wonder Woman’ run. I didn’t read much on my own, this year (outside of Wonder Woman). From what I did read, my favorite villains were:
3. The Cheetah (Wonder Woman). She not only was a legit threat to Wonder Woman, she defeated Wonder Woman on more than one occasion.
2. Circe (Wonder Woman). Based on the Greek goddess, she was a big time threat to everyone… and seemingly couldn’t be killed.
1. Anti He-Man (He-Man and the Masters of the Multiverse). Anti He-Man is traveling through the multiverse, killing He-Men, Skeletons, and everyone in his way. I like it!
I am going to fall short of my 25 book reading/listening goal for the year. However, there were some really good and fun books that I finished in 2020. My favorites:
Honorable Mention: “History of Bourbon” by Ken Albana – an interesting walk through the birth, growth, decline, and rebirth of the Bourbon industry.
3. “The Obelisk Gate” by N.K. Jemisin – Book 2 of the ‘Broken Earth’ series
2. “The 5th Season” by N.K. Jemisin – Book 1 of the ‘Broken Earth’ series
1. “Proven Guilty” by Jim Butcher – Book 8 of ‘The Dresden Files’
This one was a much shorter list to choose from, than previous years. Covid-19 shut down the sports world on March 11th; some leagues didn’t start back up, some tried to start up, and others postponed their seasons. I did watch a few moments that were pretty cool:
Honorable Mention: The Browns are on the verge of making the playoffs. If they win their game on Sunday, they will make the NFL Playoffs for the first time since 2007 (I think).
3. Los Angeles Lakers win the NBA Championship
2. The Cincinnati Reds make the MLB Playoffs
1. University of Louisville beat the University of Kentucky (Men’s College Basketball)
Favorite Video Games… with an *
* a lot of the games I chose from, I have only played the ‘Tutorial’ section and possibly the first full ‘area’.
Honorable Mention: Pillars of Eternity (PC). I actually played through a bit of this game, up to the point where I got my Stronghold and made a couple of upgrades to it. Pillars is also one of the hardest games I’ve played in a while.
4. Portal – I am a little under 1/2 finished. Frustratingly fun game!
3. Dragon Age: Inquisition. I am on my first major quest outside of the Tutorial. This is living up to the hype!
2. WoW: Battle for Azeroth – I finished this expansion pack (I actually was in a Raid group that beat the final boss). This was really fun!
1. WoW: Shadowlands. This might be my favorite expansion pack since Wrath of the Lich King, even surpassing Legion! I like the Covenant system – your character chooses one of 4 Factions to aid, earning Renown and special items in the process – and how you get samples of every Covenant on your way to Level 60 (the new max level).
Favorite Moments of 2020
Honorable Mention: ‘Melinda’ Zoom Call. I wrote about this call in a previous post; it was a much-needed meeting with some old friends.
4. Graduating from Code Louisville sessions
3. Dinner with The Ackerman-Westorland families
2. The Bengals-Cowboys game on December 13th – also wrote about this in a previous post
1. Christmas – this was a relaxing, laid-back time with all of the family, for the first time since mid-June!
A ‘Look Ahead to 2021’ will be ready by Thursday.